[NBLUG/talk] Need Home for Dell Power Vault 114T

gandalf at sonic.net gandalf at sonic.net
Thu Jul 7 14:35:08 PDT 2011

I have to agree with most of this. When they opened long ago it was a different story. They were a place to go get cheap parts and cheap computers. No longer. I go there every year or so and remember why I haven't gone in awhile. If you go to donate equipment and its not something that they can sell for hundreds of dollars they will charge you for your "donation". Over the years the computer recycling has become less and less a priority and their only real priority now is raising money for schools.

In the old days (98) I knew everyone there on a first name basis. Once went and bought the son working the till a jumbo jack cause he was stuck there and hungry.

I don't think they really price their computers "just below" new. I think they price them about new sale level. I'm not ever going to fork over that much for a used system and I'm not going to recommended anyone else do that either. Go buy a $30 computer at HSC. Why would anyone buy a single core laptop for $400 when you can buy a new multi core one for $100 more.

Most of the stuff donated there is just sold off to be crushed/melted/gold pulled out. They cherry pick the donations and that's about it.

(imagine a cute or dirty tagline here)

 On Thu 07/07/11  1:56 PM , Howard howardas at pacbell.net sent: