[NBLUG/talk] GUI tools to install RPMs on remote hosts?

Andrew argonaut at gmx.co.uk
Tue Jun 7 18:44:07 PDT 2011

Troy Arnold wrote on Tue, 7 Jun 2011 16:08:41 -0700:

> FYI, for apt based systems, aptitude has a full-featured
> curses interface. I almost never use it though, considering
> how fantabulous aptitude's CLI interface is.

Yes, I've used aptitude's CLI and curses interfaces from time to
time. It works great over SSH. Overall, it's far, FAR superior to
dselect, which was confusing as hell.

I focused on a GUI solution, though, because that was what
Lincoln asked for. Plus, being a Debian guy, I have no idea if a
curses-type tool exists for RPM, and I know nothing of the Red
Hat Network.

> Thanks for the NX mini-howto.  I still haven't messed with it
> after all these years.

Happy to help. Give NX a try. It's really easy to set up, and I
think you'll be quite impressed with the performance. Nomachine
claims it works well even over dial-up (something I've never
tried). Plus, it's got some nifty features, like disconnect and
resume (a la GNU screen, but with GUI) and a shared clipboard
(copy and paste between local and remote apps).

Sadly, the buttheads at Nomachine have decided that the version 4
rewrite will be 100% closed-source. (Up til now, the core
components have been open source, enabling projects like FreeNX.)

A.