[NBLUG/talk] Cheap Virtual Private Servers

Troy Arnold troy at zenux.net
Tue Jun 21 01:34:46 PDT 2011

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 10:31:45PM -0700, micxz wrote:

> Thrustvps was one on my list. Thanks for the confirmation on they're
> service Matt. Our box has 70+ (light traffic) domains within a Plesk
> control panel. So we were leaning towards:
> http://mediatemple.net/webhosting/dv/

Do your homework on mediatemple.  I do some work for a guy who has a
mediatemple VPS.  It feels at times like the host machine is woefully
oversold and starving for disk IO.  Simple things such as grepping a
logfile take much longer than they should and page loading times are
inconsistent.

It also seems like the host is restarted a lot more than I'd like to see.
It's became enough of a hassle that we removed the startup passphrase on
Apache's SSL private key.

-t