[NBLUG/talk] JTAG hacking

Glenn Kerbein glenn at spontaneousdancing.net
Wed Apr 11 18:45:55 PDT 2012

Good day NBLUG,

	I need some assistance with assessing the hardware on an embedded device.

	I have an motherboard that normally runs Linux (a variant of Debian,
but I can't be sure). If they operate normally, you can modify the BIOS
by flashing the SPI (whatever that is). If the device is broken beyond
repair, and the BIOS is to blame, then a new BIOS can be flashed onto
the board using a JTAG connector. I have one half of the JTAG connector
- I just need to figure out how to get the BIOS image to talk over a
huge serial cable.
	The issue is that I don't have all the JTAG cabling, etc. to make this
work. I'm waiting on someone else to provide it to me.

	I was Googling around at JTAG. Most people use these connectors to hack
their xboxes. One person figured out how to bridge the serial JTAG to a
serial to female USB port.

	I know someone on this list posted that they have a bunch of xboxes. Do
you have any JTAG connectors for said xboxes?

	I appreciate any input you have!

Best,
Glenn
--