[NBLUG/talk] General Meeting TONIGHT: Raspberry Pi

ac at sonic.net ac at sonic.net
Tue Jun 12 23:39:47 PDT 2012

 Thanks, Tom!

 For those who weren't at the meeting, there were a variety of technical
difficulties getting the Raspberry Pi to work over HDMI to my TV.  When I
got home tonight I set up the TV  and used the exact same cable I brought
to the meeting to connect the Raspberry Pi to my receiver (which acts as an
HDMI switch) and the image immediately showed up on the TV with no
problems.  I then tried connecting the same cable directly into the TV and
reproduced the same bad behavior that happened during the presentation
(flickering images, no signal, etc.).  I cannot possibly fathom why
*adding* a device prevents the problem but perhaps more data will become
available as more people start using Raspberry Pi's.

 Tonight after I got the Pi reconnected we streamed a HD TED Talk (using
the add-on for XBMC) and the playback was flawless, although contrary to my
statements in the meeting I did notice that the chip was fairly warm to the
touch.

 I'll post slides as soon as I can - I want to add some details first but I
should have them posted before the end of the week.  Thanks again for the
fantastic turn-out - that was one of the best-attended NBLUG general
meetings I've seen in a while and I appreciate all of the interest.
Perhaps next time I present there will be fewer technical difficulties. :)

 A.C.
 ******

 On Tue 06/12/12 10:18 PM , "Thomas W. Most" twm at freecog.net sent:
 Several people at the meeting were interested in HDMI input.  While
that's out of scope for the Raspberry Pi, the NeTV[1] is a device aimed at
that use.  Sadly it's nowhere close to the Raspberry Pi's price point, at
$110.

 [1]: http://kosagi.com/w/index.php?title=NeTV_Main_Page [1]