[NBLUG/talk] Ubuntu 12.04 dual monitor problems

s smith sjs at sonic.net
Fri May 25 16:58:03 PDT 2012

Since this was looking like a 12.04 discussion, I thought I'd just stay
on this thread with a different subject.

I tried installing 12.04 and my dual monitor setup no longer works.  I'm
one of several with similar problems so if you have dual monitors you
might want to try them before upgrading.

This is one of the threads where people were having a similar problem.
<http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1968574>

I have two monitors: a new DVI running at 1920x1080 and my old Sony 20"
running at 1280x1024.  I've tried multiple lower resolutions on both
monitors with no success.  I get this error message which is also out on
the net wit no replys:

    requested position/size for CRTC 148 is outside the allowed limit:
    position=(1920, 0), size=(1280, 1024), maximum=(1920, 1920)

    GDBus.Error:org.gtk.GDBus.UnmappedGError.Quark._gnome_2drr_2derror_2dquark.Code3:
    requested position/size for CRTC 148 is outside the allowed limit:
    position=(1920, 0), size=(1280, 1024), maximum=(1920, 1920)

The ATI proprietary drivers don't install either.

The dual monitors were working fine in 11.04 without proprietary drivers.

Luckily I installed alongside the old release so I can just wait -- but
it's been one of those weeks.  I think I'll go see Men in Black and
worry (or not) about this tomorrow.

Y'all have a good weekend.

Steve S.