[NBLUG/talk] Regarding a recent hackfest I attended

Jordan Erickson jerickson at logicalnetworking.net
Mon Nov 19 08:41:22 PST 2012

I dunno b/c IANAP, but did they have you sign any kind of agreement? If
so, what were the details? My first thought is that they want ideas on
the next killer app..but you may be right as well, maybe they're just
trying to generate buzz around their APIs/network.

Cheers,
Jordan

On 11/19/2012 01:14 AM, Zack Gold wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Hope your November is going good so far.
>
> A thought came to related to the hackfests that I attended in the
> recent months in San Francisco, where I went to, basically, code
> sessions for a big company. One of them was with Facebook at Heroku's
> headquarters. The basic idea behind the event was to build an
> application that would utilize Heroku's resources (they deal with the
> server, you focus on the app), and the best app would win a prize
> (Facebook swag). Though, the event was nice, and all the attendees
> were fed well, I became skeptical about what the event was really all
> about. I mean, here you have two big companies who are inviting the
> public into a free event, they're paying for the A/C power for a
> hundred laptops, they're paying for a rather expensive catered meal
> from some random place in SF (that is actually good quality food), and
> they're giving away free prizes when you build something that
> impresses them. I suppose this is more of a discussion than a question
> that has been troubling me for a while now, and I'm just curious what
> they are trying to benefit from getting people involved. For anyone
> who has been to a hackfest before, what are your thoughts on this?
> Personally, I feel that they're trying to get people involved in their
> APIs and to get people excited about developing applications for
> Facebook (or whatever company is hosting the event), but they're also
> getting feedback on the usability of their API.
>
> --
> Zack Gold
> NBLUG Scribe

Jordan Erickson (PGP: 0xDA470FF8)