[NBLUG/talk] Ubuntu Video driver Resolution

Dave Sisley dsisley at sonic.net
Tue Oct 9 14:45:32 PDT 2012

On 10/09/2012 02:35 PM, Howard Schnirman wrote:
> I was lazy and just clicked the OK default to my Ubuntu 12.04 update manager. So it started downloading and installing around 750mb. Well it failed somewhere along the way. Afterwards I can only boot to recovery mode, and am stuck with a display size of 1280 x 720. My Dell S2330mx monitor is capable of 1920 X 1080.
>
> I'm running an Nvidia GTX 280 card. I tried unintalling through synaptic and reinstalling, and manually installing nvidia's proprietary driver. No luck yet. Any ideas before I decided to do a clean install. Sorry everthing's on one partition, so I'll have to reinstall my LAMP stack, Wordpress, phpmyadmin again.
>
> Thanks
>
> Howard
Howard:  I feel your pain, but at least you can see your desktop! I've
been burned more than once by the nvidia drivers, where I have the
Proprietary drivers installed, but apt-get installs a bad driver from
the repositories...  I think I've finally gotten apt-get (same thing as
synaptic, essentially) to stop that, but I've also trying to keep notes
about what I've done to fix this.

One thing I recall is that after running the script provided by Nvidia,
I also run 'sudo nvidia-xsettings' to get my dual-monitor set up to
work.  Not sure if that helps, but I thought I'd offer it...  good luck!

-dave.