[NBLUG/talk] Project Computer

gandalf at sonic.net gandalf at sonic.net
Thu Feb 7 11:50:53 PST 2013

So I grab some old hardware, try to install CentOS and encounter problems, first it's so old it won't boot from CD (solve the issue with one boot disk); centos doesn't like the old hardware (96megs) so I give up and then try to install debian which works fine. Finally get it booted (to gnome, why do they default to a desktop?)......and gnome reports that the hard drive is dying.

So I just sapped on a slave 15gig drive to see if it has anything important on it. I have a stack that I was going through checking and then doing secure erase before throwing them away. Think I'll just swap out and do a fresh install. It doesn't take long if I just go down and hit enter every so often.

(imagine a cute or dirty tagline here)