[NBLUG/talk] security wireless connection -- No Cat ??

steve sjs at sonic.net
Mon Nov 11 11:45:32 PST 2013

On 11/11/2013 11:08 AM, Steve S. wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 10:24 AM, jezra <jezra at jezra.net> wrote:
>
>> I'm thinking the "shape" should be a home-made rustic birdhouse, or
>> something else that blends into the surroundings. Currently, the
>> property has a shed, a trailer, and a bunch of oak trees. If well
>> disguised, the probability of the security system getting stolen would
>> be dramatically reduced.
>
> Yeah, I was going to say:  having your whole system (including the
> recordings/evidence) stolen would be a possible problem (even a
> "likely" problem... in the UNLIKELY event the robbers are even
> semi-intelligent).  I presume you'd solar-power the thing, with
> battery-array for nights?  Your set-up is getting bigger... harder to
> hide.
>
> I would *NOT* use a "game-cam" camera -- I bet some of these guys are
> hunters, and would spot it in a cold second... and be glad to take the
> extra profit !
>
> Another possibility:  invest some in better lens(es) -- telephoto --
> and set your system off a ways where it just won't be seen (telephoto
> lenses WILL be bigger than normal; but not too huge, as the cam-sensor
> will be pretty small).  Camo-gear to cover your set-up.  A solar-array
> is harder to hide, though... buried power-line, so the array looks
> like it's powering your trailer (mounting it on the trailer)?  I'm not
> sure how big your solar-array would have to be, to power things
> through (for example) a multi-day-storm where "daytime" only provides
> a small part of its usual charge; looting is more-common after big
> storms like that.  A flash-disk for storage would help with both size
> and power issues.
>
> A "fake" antenna/camera(s) could work (or at least help), with a big
> sign saying "video monitored off-site".  Any chance of getting (or
> faking) an "official logo/label" from one of your regional
> telecomm's-providers, so it "looks like" you've had a "genuine"
> (instead of DIY) installation?
>
> Finally, as Steve suggests (err... the OTHER Steve (I am *also* a
> "Steve S" -- an excellent name! ;-) ) , internet *might* be available,
> with a bit of extra effort:  off-the-shelf wifi can be range-boosted
> without too much cost, as a fairly-simple DIY project.  I've seen
> claims of multi-KILOMETER range achieved from a simple 802.11g home
> wifi router...  Maybe you and some neighboring property-owners could
> collaborate in sharing a multi-hop configuration to the nearest
> access-point?
>

> - Steve S (but not "sjs")

Yea -- I was suprised to see another steve s popping up on the list back
when...  I used to be more active.  Unix since BSD and SunOS on a Sun
One.  (anybody else remember SunCore??) Linux since Redhat 2 or 3 or
something like that. Still use linux lately Ubuntu 12.x and one Ubuntu
13.04 dual-boot on system that's secondary boot on a Mint 14 system
(don't like the directions Ubuntu is taking) -- don't like Mint 15,
starting to play with Android -- C, Python, strong PERL-- happily
retired since layoff in '06... mostly lurk on NBLUG and TLUG until
something catches my attention.

Re: Nocat,  They were a local group and loosely affiliated with the
NBLUG.  This is an old link to a book put together by one of their members:
http://www.oreillynet.com/wireless/2001/11/09/nocatauth.html

At one time they had wireless links all over the Sonoma coast.  Maybe
the change of subject will get someone's attention.

Steve S (1st ?? 2nd?? don't know&don't care -- username sjs since the
70's :)