[NBLUG/talk] security wireless connection -- No Cat ??

Steve S. northbaygeek at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 17:45:35 PST 2013

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 11:45 AM, steve <sjs at sonic.net> wrote:> On
11/11/2013 11:08 AM, Steve S. wrote:
>> Finally, as Steve suggests (err... the OTHER Steve (I am *also* a
>> "Steve S" -- an excellent name! ;-) ) , internet *might* be available,
>> with a bit of extra effort:  off-the-shelf wifi can be range-boosted
>> without too much cost, as a fairly-simple DIY project.  I've seen
>> claims of multi-KILOMETER range achieved from a simple 802.11g home
>> wifi router...  Maybe you and some neighboring property-owners could
>> collaborate in sharing a multi-hop configuration to the nearest
>> access-point?
>>
>> - Steve S (but not "sjs")
>>

> Yea -- I was suprised to see another steve s popping up on the list back
> when...  I used to be more active.  Unix since BSD and SunOS on a Sun One.
> (anybody else remember SunCore??) Linux since Redhat 2 or 3 or something
> like that. Still use linux lately Ubuntu 12.x and one Ubuntu 13.04 dual-boot
> on system that's secondary boot on a Mint 14 system (don't like the
> directions Ubuntu is taking) -- don't like Mint 15, starting to play with
> Android -- C, Python, strong PERL-- happily retired since layoff in '06...
> mostly lurk on NBLUG and TLUG until something catches my attention.

<g>
You've been with Linux longer than me, but my Unix predates yours!  I
was using BSD before the founding of Sun and Apollo (remember
Apollo?).  I used SysV, too -- that came out about the same time.

Bang!path!addressing between different "online" institutions... DNS
nonexistent... /etc/hosts and "hosts.txt"... ahh, the memories...  :-)

We actually got one of the tapes cut "by hand, by request" by Bill Joy
& his group at UCBerkeley, for our VAX 11/750, when the local
JrCollege (CoM) first began using UNIX.  I was "only a student" but I
had more Unix background at the time than the rest of the campus
combined, so I was sort of the "technical lead" on the project.

> Re: Nocat,  They were a local group and loosely affiliated with the NBLUG.
> This is an old link to a book put together by one of their members:
> http://www.oreillynet.com/wireless/2001/11/09/nocatauth.html
>
> At one time they had wireless links all over the Sonoma coast.  Maybe the
> change of subject will get someone's attention.

Also, IIRC:  the hills above/around Occidental runs/ran an ad-hot
shared-internet network...  A few places on the periphery could get
Internet, and the lot of them shared with those who couldn't.