[NBLUG/talk] Cheap laptop capable of running Linux

Kendall Shaw kshaw at kendallshaw.com
Fri Nov 22 08:43:15 PST 2013

On 11/21/2013 11:48 PM, Zack Gold wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm wondering if anyone has had success with a very inexpensive ($250
> or less) laptop capable of running Linux. I'm willing to go with
> something that is very, very old, if necessary. The device must have
> WiFi capabilities so that I can connect to the Internet. I'm probably
> going to leave the system without a GUI.

A brand new laptop with an 15" display, intel i3 processor, 4gb ram and
300gb disk and DVD drive, can be bought for about $320. So, I would
think it would very easy to find a laptop for $250 that is used that can
run linux.

Most people get a new computer instead of upgrading their software. So,
very capable recently made computers are considered junk to be thrown away.

It might be worth going to the computer recycling place and looking at
what they have that is sold as is. The cost of staff picking out a
computer making sure it works and presenting it for sale is so close to
the price of what computers are sold for though that the ones that are
for sale are probably over priced.

Kendall