[NBLUG/talk] Installation problem

Michael Dooley mdooley at sonic.net
Tue Oct 8 23:01:08 PDT 2013

On 10/08/2013 10:31 PM, Alan Bloom wrote:

> On 10/8/2013 10:34 AM, Michael Dooley wrote:
>
>> Here are some URLs that are fairly good in explaining what to do to
>> recover a working grub.

>> http://askubuntu.com/questions/88384/how-can-i-repair-grub-how-to-get-ubuntu-back-after-installing-windows
>>

> I was busy all day and just got home an hour ago and looked up that URL.
>   That did it!  I am now able to boot either Windows or Ubuntu on the
> computer.  Thanks!
>
> Now the only problem is getting the Internet working.  I recently did a
> clean re-install of Windows XP Pro on this same machine and had to go to
> the HP web site to get the driver for the LAN card.  But (of course)
> they list drivers for versions of Microsoft Windows only.
>
> Can I assume that the problem is likely a missing driver?  Any hints on
> how to go about finding it?
>
> Thanks again for your patience with my newbie questions.
>
> Alan

A great place to ask these kinds of questions is the ubuntu forums,

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=326 is the url for the
absolute beginners forum which is a great place to see if your question
has already been asked and responded to.

It could be a driver but far more likely is that you'll be guided to (1)
identify your ethernet card/chip and then to (2) activate it.

Google "ubuntu 12.04 how to get networking working" or something like
that. The forums are full of useful information. Good luck Alan.

--
Michael