[NBLUG/talk] Installation problem

E Frank Ball III frankb at frankb.us
Thu Oct 10 16:28:18 PDT 2013

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 03:14:21PM -0700, Alan Bloom wrote:
 > The difference may be that Ubuntu and Windows XP are on the same
 > physical machine.  I suspect that Windows may be setting something
 > in hardware.  I'll look into it some more when I get time.
 >
 > Alan

Alan,

I have a dual boot windows 7 / ubuntu machine that had a similar
problem.  Windows would leave the ethernet controller in a state that
wouldn't work for linux.  I had to power down, pull the plug, wait a
bit, then power back up and it would work fine.

lspci shows the hardware as:

Ethernet controller:  Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.  RTL8111/8168/8411
PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 03)

It never effected my router.  My eventual solution was to stop using windows.

   E Frank Ball          frankb at frankb.us