[NBLUG/talk] Installation problem

Peter Lutz aa6av at sonic.net
Thu Oct 10 17:36:58 PDT 2013

I am typing this on a machine with Ubuntu 12.04 (running) and
Windows 7 and Windows 8 (along with several other linux variants).
I have the same controller chip Frank has.
I have never seen any problems of the type you describe,
BUT
I use static addressing on all my internal network(s).
That means that both window and linux addresses are set all the
time.  I don't know if static IPs will solve your problem, but
it may.  I use OpenWRT in my router(s).

Good Luck.

Peter

On 10/10/2013 04:28 PM, E Frank Ball III wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 03:14:21PM -0700, Alan Bloom wrote:
>   > The difference may be that Ubuntu and Windows XP are on the same
>   > physical machine.  I suspect that Windows may be setting something
>   > in hardware.  I'll look into it some more when I get time.
>   >
>   > Alan
>
> Alan,
>
> I have a dual boot windows 7 / ubuntu machine that had a similar
> problem.  Windows would leave the ethernet controller in a state that
> wouldn't work for linux.  I had to power down, pull the plug, wait a
> bit, then power back up and it would work fine.
>
> lspci shows the hardware as:
>
> Ethernet controller:  Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.  RTL8111/8168/8411
> PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 03)
>
> It never effected my router.  My eventual solution was to stop using windows.
>
>     E Frank Ball          frankb at frankb.us

Peter Lutz  AA6AV
Meaning is Homemade.
www.p-lutz.net