[NBLUG/talk] GPG Key Signing

E Frank Ball III frankb at frankb.us
Wed Aug 13 05:50:07 PDT 2014

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 05:25:43AM -0700, E Frank Ball wrote:
 > On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 09:37:30PM -0700, E Frank Ball wrote:
 >  > GPG Key Signing Part III:  After the meeting
 >  >
 >  > Now that you have collected a list of GPG fingerprints and verified the
 >  > identity of the owners, it's time to download and sign the keys, then
 >  > email them back or upload them:
 >  >
 >  > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GnuPrivacyGuardHowto#After_the_Event
 >  >
 >  > This page has good instructions, so I won't bother to cut and paste and
 >  > spoil the formatting.
 >  >
 >  > Cheers,
 >  >
 >  >    E. Frank Ball III      Frank at NBLUG.org
 >

 > On the list of GPG key info I past out at the meeting I forgot to put
 > Tom's key id:  80F2D79E
 >
 > The instructions require a key id, but if you browse to a keyserver,
 > http://keyserver.ubuntu.com/ you can search with the email address and
 > find the key.
 >
 >    E. Frank Ball III      Frank at NBLUG.org

The instructions say to:

"Email the key users (use the email address that was part of the key's
user ID) and attach the corresponding signature file - or - send their
signed key to the key server:"

Sending the keys to the keyserver is probably easier for everyone
involved and OK to do.

After everybody uploads the signed keys you will want to see those
signature on your key.  The "gpg --list-sigs" command shows all the
signatures and keys in your keyring.  To see just your key use:

"gpg --list-sigs <key ID or email address>"

To get your key updated with all the new signatures people have been
adding:

gpg --refresh-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com

   E. Frank Ball III      Frank at NBLUG.org
   home: 707-538-3693     mobile/text: 707-733-3006