[NBLUG/talk] Ubuntu 12.04->14.04 upgrade gone awry

Jordan Erickson jerickson at logicalnetworking.net
Sat Aug 30 16:28:18 PDT 2014

On 08/30/2014 02:37 PM, Omar Eljumaily wrote:
> Major version upgrades are always problematic.  Centos recommended a
> full reinstall up until their 6 to 7 update.  There's a coding reason
> for this.  You don't want people coding for legacy issues.  It makes
> more sense to focus on making better, more stable features than to
> worry about yesterday.

Tell that to the Debian team ;)

*ducks*

But honestly, I have almost never had a problem upgrading between major
releases with Debian. I've done it at least a dozen times. Servers,
workstations, X, no X, ... Ubuntu, on the other hand...yeah. I'm in
complete agreement. Not sure how they could take something so stable and
completely foobar it over time.