[NBLUG/talk] When to buy a laptop? Where's the "sweet spot" these days?

Walter gandalf at sonic.net
Sun Nov 16 16:33:32 PST 2014

I've walked through best buy (having arrived 30 minutes before store
opening) and found the special item tags on the floor and counters.
People being people they get tags for stuff they don't have the money to
buy. I got my wife her laptop that way one year. We had a pile of tags,
picked the one we liked and distributed the rest of the tags to people
in line with us. I recently practice the art of ninja black Friday. The
object is to get in and out of a store before the true line forms and
without having waited in line. But then I generally just want a couple
new large hard drives and some cheap micro SD cards.

On 11/16/2014 1:42 PM, William Tracy wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 9:12 AM, Steve S. <northbaygeek at gmail.com
> <mailto:northbaygeek at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     @William - "Cyber Monday" (usually) beats "Black Friday", you say?
>

> For Black Friday, the retail stores advertise a handful of
> deeply-discounted "door buster" deals. There's usually a very limited
> stock of those products on hand, and those all go to the people
> willing to camp out overnight. The rest of the products in the store
> are rarely discounted--and some retailers have actually been known to
> hike prices on Black Friday to catch unwary buyers.
>
> If the product you're interested in isn't advertised as on sale, it
> probably won't be. If it is advertised as on sale, it will probably be
> out of stock before you get there. (The big exceptions to the last one
> are products that the stores have a big surplus of and are desperate
> to move--you can usually recognize those as products that have
> consistently bad reviews online!)
>
> At least, that's the pattern I've seen so far, and I'm not eager
> enough to brave the crowds to look for exceptions. If you have nothing
> better to do, knock yourself out.
>
>     FWIW, though (RE camera's, an arena where I also geek):
>     MSRP isn't really the relevant number to figure how steep the
>     discount.
>

> Agreed. I think I actually saved more like 20-30% off retail price.
> But 40% off MSRP sounds better. :-)
>
>     (2) if the vendor really *IS*
>     legit, buy it !
>

> The camera in question is a Canon SX40HS, and I did go home and
> research it before pulling the trigger. It's a good camera. :-)
>
> Actually, that's a good piece of advice there for *any* electronics
> purchase: Research before you buy!
>
> William Tracy
> afishionado at gmail.com <mailto:afishionado at gmail.com>
> (408) 685-4819