[NBLUG/talk] Recent PHP version on Centos 6.5

Omar Eljumaily omar at omnicode.com
Wed Sep 10 14:55:40 PDT 2014

It's interesting.  I used to use JSP/Java almost exclusively for website
development.  There are some important memory management and linguistic
aspects of PHP that make it much more stable, way easier to code, and
much faster than JSP for me.

PHP is a scripting language.  If you try to make it something more, it's
going to choke.  Facebook's strategy is to have a thin scripting layer
with C compiled code for the data crunching backend.  I'm not a big fan
of Facebook, but I believe they have got that technical strategy
correct.  I'm working with their API not because I think they're a cool
company, but because they're a market force that is important to deal with.

Omar