[NBLUG/talk] Recent PHP version on Centos 6.5

Zack Gold zg at nblug.org
Fri Sep 12 08:20:15 PDT 2014

As an Arch Linux user, I suggest you switch to Arch Linux, because the
other distributions are bad.

With that said (and firing off an entirely new set of emails), check out
the distributions page at LWN.net.  Yeah, there's a lot of info, but if you
read through descriptions of distributions carefully one day, you'll be
able to move forward with a flavor that you like for years.
http://lwn.net/Distributions/

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 10:31 AM, Omar Eljumaily <omar at omnicode.com> wrote:

>  I'm not sure what the difference between "enterprise" and normal
> business/commercial use is.  It's really hard to define servers based on
> application space these days, though, because of the cloud and
> virtualization.
>
> In the past, I think Ubuntu wasn't considered serious for business, but
> they are very aggressively going after that sector now.  I've come to the
> conclusion that Redhat's relationship with Centos is problematic.  I get
> the distinct impression that there's not a push to fine tune things to make
> it easy for end users.
>
> An example of what I'm talking about is SELinux.  Nothing useful on Centos
> works out of the box when you're running SELinux.  You have to tweak and
> modify things like crazy.  The last server I set up had about 100 custom
> SELinux rules.  I've found that AppArmor on Ubuntu is much more tenable.
>
> Just my take.
>
> Omar
>

> On 9/11/2014 11:55 PM, Zack Gold wrote:
>
> In all seriousness, you should only be using CentOS if you're doing
> enterprise work, from what I've read.
>
> On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 12:24 AM, Jordan Erickson <
> jerickson at logicalnetworking.net> wrote:
>
>> What's heavier - a metric crapton of educational links, or a metric
>> crapton of e-mails?
>>

>> Jordan Erickson (PGP: 0x78DD41CB)
>> LNS: 707-636-5678, http://logicalnetworking.net

>> > And here I was, about to drop a metric crapton of educational links on
>>

>  --
> Zack Gold
> Former NBLUG Scribe

Zack Gold