[NBLUG/talk] 1. Printers (cecrops at sandwich.net)

Mike Rice dolo724 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 4 18:06:53 PST 2015

We rely on HP exclusively, and don't have to cry when the toner runs low. Yes, I recommend a laser printer (color, of course).

You'll do well to find last-year's model for a lower up-front cost, then get a home refill kit when the carts run low. Any decent kit will include instructions, toner, tools, and new chips for less than the cost of ALL FOUR carts new. Mine are $85 apiece, toner refill kit cost $65.

Benefits:
Drivers are well known and work well in all distros I've tried. Debian for now.

In fact, it just worked after 3 years in storage, just plugged it into the network and had NO TROUBLE finding it.

Toner won't dry out, and it's ready when you need it.
Some (research this one first) include the drum in the cartridge, so a separate drum purchase is not required. This validates the occasional purchase of a new cartridge set once an eon.

Drawbacks:
Getting over the fact you've just spent money on an HP. Have a nice cuppa.

All the others have driver issues of some kind or another. And Lexmark, oy. no.

C. Mike Rice
KF7VZZ at gmail.com
dolo724 at yahoo.com