[NBLUG/talk] Reviving an OLPC XO-1 laptop

Lincoln Peters anfrind at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 13:06:53 PDT 2015

I have an XO-1 laptop from the "give 1 get 1" program (circa 2008?) that
has been sitting in storage for over five years, and I wanted to find a new
use for it.  It looks like it's powerful enough that I could use it e.g. to
control a couple of headless server via SSH, but I noticed that the OS is
based on Fedora 9, which is so old that there's no clear upgrade path for
it, and it has numerous unpatched security flaws such as GHOST.

Has anyone tried to upgrade the XO-1 to a newer OS?  Is it worth the
effort?  I see on the OLPC website that they offer kits that you can use to
upgrade the hardware (which presumably include a new OS), but I don't know
if I want to go that far yet (even if the original hardware IS less
powerful than a Raspberry Pi).

Thanks in advance.