[NBLUG/talk] RAID1 and partitions

Omar Eljumaily omar at omnicode.com
Fri May 1 12:23:15 PDT 2015

I don't like RAID either for a number of reasons.  However, the clients
I deal with typically are losing about $500 per hour if one of their
main servers goes down.  I've actually relied on RAID a number of
times.  It's saved everybody lots of money and head aches.

I'd like to go full cloud like on AWS or something, but it's too slow
and sometimes too expensive right now.  As an alternative, I'm shooting
for a main server(s) locally that get archived every night on AWS with
the ability to work completely off the cloud if the local server goes down.

I think the local server will still use RAID.  It's just a matter of
practicality.  1 TB of data takes multiple hours to restore, and
non-active mirrors are marginally reliable at best.

Omar