[NBLUG/talk] What's the status of IPV6?

gandalf at sonic.net gandalf at sonic.net
Wed May 6 09:55:23 PDT 2015

I keep wondering about this. I'm working at MSRI and we've got a /22 and
are looking at going to a /25. That's decreasing from a thousand to a
hundred real IP addresses. The government/school factor really likes
real IP addresses that can be traced down to a physical machine and
that's probably one of the largest reasons why we've run out of
addresses.

It would take an enormous push to go to IPV6 but I think all the
hardware is ready. Not really sure why it doesn't get implemented.
Everything would probably crash though, or at least enough of everything
for bad things like stock fluctuations to happen and I'm sure that
factors in. When do you plan for a really, really bad day?