[NBLUG/talk] Anybody know what a "data jam" is?

Omar Eljumaily omar at omnicode.com
Wed May 27 15:38:35 PDT 2015

I apologize for yet another post concerning my Linux based remote
tunnels.  We had one of the connections go down, and it turned out to be
Verizon's 4g LTE connection freezing.  Tech support said there was a
"data jam."  Is this a technical term or is it just tech support giving
a euphemism for their device locking up?

We had to take the battery out, and reboot the device.  Does anybody
have experience with keeping cellular internet connections up for long
periods of time?  I'm wondering if there is a more stable solution.

 From the Linux side, the tunnels are very reliable.  The only problem
arises when the internet connection goes down for short periods of time
and SSH thinks the connection is still active.  In that case I have to
kill the connection from the server side so it will restart itself, but
we don't have to go to the remote site to fix it.

Thanks,

Omar