[NBLUG/talk] UNIX System V backup woes

Mitch Patenaude patenaude at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 21:18:18 PST 2015

I used to administer an old SysV 3.2 box... it's very painful.

The old original tar (not GNU tar) doesn't support compression, but you can
do the same with piping... i.e.
tar cf - /target_dir | gzip > /tmp/target.tar.gz  (if it's old enough, then
filenames are limited to 14 characters as well.)

I don't think original tar supported the --exclude-dir= command... pretty
much all arguments that start with -- won't be supported.  There might be
an equivalent argument... man is your friend.

gzip may not exist, but compress is and older command that probably will..
uses the .Z extension.

And Eric is right... $(..) is a construct that isn't in the original bourne
shell (bash == Bourne Again SHell).  Backticks will work.

  -- Mitch