[NBLUG/talk] Is this funny?

Jordan Erickson jerickson at logicalnetworking.net
Wed Nov 25 19:49:54 PST 2015

What's the UI? Any UI would need to have LTSP specific code since the
shutdown would be happening inside the chroot. I wouldn't necessarily
call it bad design more than "LTSP isn't on our radar so we don't have
that functionality built in (yet...or ever since LTSP depends on Xorg
which...yeah...*COUGHwaylandhipstersCOUGH*)

AFAIK, XFCE is sort of the "best" / most integrated as an LTSP desktop
environment. It used to be Gnome2 had lots of code as well as patches
and user hacks/howtos (which I wrote a few myself on the Ubuntu wiki way
back when) to do everything under LTSP but then they went all Metro on
us and all that stuff was seemingly thrown out the window in favor of a
redesign.

The display manager / logon screen (LDM w/LTSP, unless they've changed
that since I used it last) should work if you select
reboot/shutdown/etc... that actually runs on the thin client and not a
remote X session like everything after you actually authenticate.

Cheers,
Jordan