[NBLUG/talk] UNIX System V backup woes

gandalf at sonic.net gandalf at sonic.net
Fri Oct 23 10:21:23 PDT 2015

You're right, of course it's recursing. I'm a dork and that could be my
whole problem. I'll try the compression, but I don't think it's there at
all. You can use:
tar Cvf
but it looks like a weird old compression routine. I didn't trust it so
was just using cvf. I read the whole man page for this tar and it's
missing z among many other things like skipping folders and files. At
least man works :-)