[NBLUG/talk] Postfix mail routing

Christopher Wagner waggie at waggie.net
Fri Sep 11 14:34:26 PDT 2015

I've never done "split delivery" for a domain, where some email
addresses for a domain go to another server, but I think transport may
indeed help.  My own mail server either delivers locally for various
domains, or spam/av filters and relays on to another server for final
delivery, but it's all based on domain, not individual addresses within
a domain.

Make sure you read up on Postfix relay setup first and that your server
is configured correctly for relaying.

I suspect that this MIGHT work, but don't take my word for it (just
threw this together as a guess):

/etc/postfix/transport:
user1 at example.com    smtp:[yourserver.local]
@example.com    smtp:[foo.gmailsmtpserver.com]

/etc/postfix/relay_domains:
example.com    OK

/etc/postfix/relay_recipients:
user1 at example.com    OK
user2 at example.com    OK

Don't forget to postmap the relevant files before testing!

Also, a quick Google turned up:
http://serverfault.com/questions/249561/configure-postfix-to-use-external-mx-servers-for-delivery-of-local-mail-if-user
http://postfix.1071664.n5.nabble.com/split-domain-relay-by-default-td56286.html
https://support.google.com/a/answer/2956491?hl=en