[NBLUG/talk] Data recovery recommendations

Christopher Wagner waggie at waggie.net
Thu Feb 16 18:49:40 PST 2017

I've had a lot of experience with doing data recovery myself (and have
done quite a bit), using "cheap" data recovery services, and also
DriveSavers.  When I do it myself, I use dd_rescue and/or R-Studio
depending on the nature of the problem.

If the data is really that critical, my advice would be to use
DriveSavers.  Don't bother with cheap data recovery services because
most will just be using dd_rescue or similar anyway (which you can do
yourself).  There are some that are more like DriveSavers and will
actually repair the drive appropriately, but you don't necessarily know
what you're going to get.  DriveSavers is local anyway, and worth the
extra money if the data is important enough.

Basically, when I have such a situation with my clients, I try to figure
out what the data is really worth to them.  If they simply would NEVER
pay the $1200-$4200 that it might cost for a data recovery at
DriveSavers, then it's a moot point taking it there and you might as
well try to recover it yourself.  However, if the client isn't sure, or
IS likely to pay that kind of money to guarantee a recovery, then
definitely take it there.

Taking it to DriveSavers for an evaluation will at least give you a cost
to compare against.

If you do decide to use dd_rescue yourself, do it in one shot, as making
multiple attempts will definitely reduce your chances of successful
recovery.

My two cents,

Chris