[NBLUG/talk] Why have directories in /var/run if they're not persistent through reboot?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jul 31 00:48:50 PDT 2017

Quoting Zack Zatkin-Gold (zg at zk.gd):

> I'm curious what your thoughts are on what appears to be a bad pattern
> on Linux (and potentially UNIX-based programs, too?).

A little birdie told me the electrons on #nblug self-rearranged, thus:

00:42 < redrick> Yes, /var/run is volatile these days (tmpfs), but that's fine
                 because it's supposed to be volatile program state for
                 currently running programs.  When the system reboots (the only
                 time normally that the 'volatile' aspect of a tmpfs should
                 come into play), it's totally appropriate that the entirety of
                 /var/run go away, because all the running programs did, too.
00:42 -!- mjsmith
[~msmith at 107-209-213-175.lightspeed.sntcca.sbcglobal.net] has
          joined #nblug
00:42 < redrick> /var/run is very unlikely to be 'lost' except by reboot, and
                 then it _should_ get lost, is what I'm saying.
00:44 < redrick> As to the subdirs under /var/run, FHS has rationale.
00:44 < redrick> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#VARRUNRUNTIMEVARIABLEDATA
00:45 < redrick> That help?

--
Cheers,                              Arrq uryc qrpelcgvat EBG13?  Nfx zr ubj!
Rick Moen
rick at linuxmafia.com
McQ! (4x80)