[NBLUG/talk] How do you handle physical device passwords?

Allan Cecil allan at nblug.org
Mon May 8 23:42:02 PDT 2017

My brute force concern was one of "my laptop was stolen".  Now, I have an encrypted home partition but not an encrypted disk (on one of my laptops, anyway) and thus /etc/password and /etc/shadow are in theory accessible if the volume is mounted which would in theory allow an offline dictionary attack.  That's probably the lowest risk aspect, of course.

Even the low attack rate of SSH passwords is too high for me so I've disabled password-based login entirely.  Not as a matter of security by obscurity but more because I have multiple hosts on one IP address I also use a non-default SSH port which substantially reduces attacks.  That leaves non-SSH password pilfering concerns, and after the talk at Thotcon about using everything from lasers to unopened potato chip bags to capture keystrokes I admit my paranoia went up a few notches. :)

Thanks for the lively discussion so far, it's interesting to see the different perspectives.  See you all at the meeting,

A.C.
******
President, North Bay Linux Users' Group