[NBLUG/talk] Getting info off a laptop HD + How to mount ZFS

cecrops at sandwich.net cecrops at sandwich.net
Thu Sep 21 08:06:02 PDT 2017

Thanks for the tip. Have some notes.

How to mount a zfs drive in Debian Linux

What, you thought mount would work? Haha, no.

First, uninstall zfs-fuse if you have it because it does not support the latest version of zfs. You will want "ZFS On Linux" which comes in several packages that are currently in the "contrib" section of jessie-backports. If that is not in your apt/sources.list, add it.

deb http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/merged jessie-backports main contrib
deb-src http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/merged jessie-backports main contrib

If you go looking for zfs-linux you only find a source package. Ignore it and install some of its dependencies.

https://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=sourcenames&keywords=zfs-linux

I recommend against doing anything with initramfs or dracut unless you know what you are doing. Here's what I installed.

apt-get install -t jessie-backports libnvpair1linux libuutil1linux libzfs2linux libzfslinux-dev libzpool2linux zfs-dbg zfs-dkms zfs-zed zfsutils-linux

They expect you to run zpool directly against your /dev directory and let it autodetect the ZFS drives. Given that my research brought up a couple of horror stories from people who tried to simply read a ZFS drive and munged their boot sequence or file system, I say, forget that. Instead, make a new directory like /tmp/dev and give it symlinks to the drive that you are trying to read, and nothing else.

mkdir /tmp/dev
ln -s /dev/sdb* /tmp/dev

After everything else is set up, the drive is mounted with zpool.

zpool import tank -d /mnt/dev/ -R /mnt/usb2
zpool import tank -d /mnt/dev/ -o readonly=on -R /mnt/usb2

To unmount the drive:

zpool export tank

Further reading on ZFS and how it works:

http://kbdone.com/zfs-basics/
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/819-5461/zfsover-1/index.html
https://nexenta.com/rs/nexenta2/images/white_paper_nexentastor_zfs_intro_to_zfs_hybrid_storage_pool.pdf
http://fortuitous.com/docs/primers/ZFS_Primer.pdf