[NBLUG] General Meeting Announcement

Dustin Mollo dustin at nblug.org
Tue Oct 2 12:32:54 PDT 2001

WHAT: NBLUG General Meeting
TOPIC: Basic Linux Security
WHERE: TBA
WHEN: October 9th, 2001 @ 7:30PM

----

    URGENT NOTE:  This meeting >> IS NOT << at O'Reilly.  Please read the
   section below labeled "Location and Directions" for information on this
                          month's meeting location.

Hello one and all!  It's that time again.  This month, we'll be talking
about basic Linux security.  This talk is aimed at the new Linux user who
wants to get some background on things he or she can do to begin to make
their box more secure.  Topics that will be covered include:

	* Starting and stopping services
	* The hazards of various services
	* Using SSH, SCP and SFTP
	* Logging (tcp, udp, icmp) and logcheck

The talk will be given by our own Frank Ball, who, as you may remember, gave
a great firewall talk several months ago.  This should be a great talk for
those of you who are new to Linux or are maybe new to security practices and
things to watch out for in general.  Of course, as usual, all are welcome.

Speaking of talks, we'd like to remind and encourage folks out there that we
are always looking for people to give presentations at NBLUG meetings.
Talks can be anything from as simple as "I found this cool doodad and would
like to share it with the group" to full-blown formal presentations that
would cover topics like Linux Kernel Internals.  You don't have to know
everything about Linux to give a talk and you don't have to be the best
public speaker in the world.  As I'm sure you all know, we're a very
informal group and, I hope, less intimidating than your average class
lecture environment.  If you would like to give a presentation, please send
an email to speakers at nblug.org.

>> Location and Directions <<

Well, I bet you expected to find directions to the meeting and information
on where it was going to be, eh?  Well, that's still not firm yet.  I'm
waiting on confirmation back on a meeting room at SSU.  I should have
confirmation tomorrow, but I don't want to say anymore than that right now
should that not happen (which is rather unlikely).

Well, until tomorrow, take care, everyone!

-Dustin

--
Founder & President
The North Bay Linux Users' Group