[NBLUG] Meeting reminder - July 2nd, Hans Reiser

Dustin Mollo dustin at nblug.org
Wed Jun 26 11:47:25 PDT 2002

Hello all,

This is just a quick reminder that we've got a special meeting lined up for
next Tuesday, July 2nd at 7:30PM.  Hans Reiser will be speaking about
ReiserFS.  More information can be found below.

If you are planning on attending and have not already registered, please
take a moment to visit http://www.nblug.org/rsvp/ to register - we'd greatly
appreciate it.

An email announcement about our regular July meeting on July 9th should be
heading your way shortly.

See you all on the 2nd!

-Dustin

   >>> SEE INFORMATION NEAR THE BOTTOM OF THIS MESSAGE ABOUT RSVP'ing <<<

WHAT: NBLUG SPECIAL EVENT
TOPIC: ReiserFS with special guest Hans Reiser
WHERE: O'Reilly and Associates, Sebastopol
WHEN: July 2nd, 2002 @ 7:30PM
RSVP: http://www.nblug.org/rsvp/

----

Hi there, everyone!

We've got a very special meeting just added to our calendar.  We're very
lucky and happy to have Hans Reiser, who is the primary architect, the
project manager and a programmer for the ReiserFS Project, coming to speak
on July 2nd.  This meeting falls outside of our normal meeting time (the 2nd
is the first Tuesday, rather than the second Tuesday), which means we'll
have two meetings in the month of July!

For those who may not be completely familiar with ReiserFS, check out
http://www.reiserfs.org/.  Here is a short synopsis I grabbed from their
website:

	ReiserFS has fast journaling, which means that you don't spend your
	life waiting for fsck every time your laptop battery dies, or the
	UPS for your mission critical server gets its batteries disconnected
	accidentally by the UPS company's service crew, or your kernel was
	not as ready for prime time as you hoped, or the silly thing decides
	you mounted it too many times today.

	ReiserFS is based on fast balanced trees. Balanced trees are more
	robust in their performance, and are a more sophisticated
	algorithmic foundation for a filesystem. When we started our
	project, there was a consensus in the industry that balanced trees
	were too slow for filesystem usage patterns. We proved that if you
	just do them right they are better--take a look at the benchmarks.
	We have fewer worst case performance scenarios than other
	filesystems and generally better overall performance. If you put
	100,000 files in one directory, we think its fine; many other
	filesystems try to tell you that you are wrong to want to do it.

	ReiserFS is more space efficient. If you write 100 byte files, we
	pack many of them into one block. Other filesystems put each of them
	into their own block. We don't have fixed space allocation for
	inodes. That saves 6% of your disk.

Due to the potential popularity of this meeting, we're asking folks to RSVP
to let us know how many are coming.  If we get enough folks, we might have
to move the meeting to a larger facility (possibly SSU), so please, PLEASE
RSVP as soon as you can.  You can RSVP at http://www.nblug.org/rsvp/

Thanks...looking forward to seeing you all tonight and next month!

-Dustin

--
Founder & President
The North Bay Linux Users' Group