[NBLUG/Announce] General Meeting: Dealing with spam!

ME dugan at nblug.org
Sat Jul 5 11:34:00 PDT 2003

WHAT:    General Meeting
TOPIC:   Panel/Board review on some common methods for dealing with spam
SPEAKER: Panel of NBLUG members (E.B., M.E. and E.E -- names below) WHERE:
  O'Reilly and Associates, Sebastopol, CA.
         http://www.nblug.org/location.shtml
WHEN:    July 8, 2003 @ 7:30PM
STATUS:  Confirmed

Difficulty: Beginner-Intermediate

This is our normal monthly meeting at the normal scheduled time and place.
NBLUG meetings are open to all and are free of charge.

Hello NBLUG members!

We have a great presentation for you:
Dealing with spam in Linux...

Details:

Most of us get spam, and many of us who get spam don't want it. So, what
do we do about it? Come hear a panel of NBLUG members talk about various
methods that can be used in Linux to help decrease the amount of spam that
makes it to your inbox.

Eric (Acting NBLUG VP) is presently employed at SRJC and has found several
methods for filtering spam. He has experience with such tools as Procmail,
SpamAssassin and others.

Frank Ball (Active NBLUG Board Member) works at Agilent. He has found help
in avoiding spam with customized ipchains/iptables rules as well as
employments of other tools.

M.E. (Acting NBLUG President) quit his University staff job to become a
student of Computer Science who has found sanctaury from spam with
procmail and spamassassin.

OTHER UPCOMING NBLUG EVENTS:
August 12:   Cool Linux Apps - Mini review from multiple NBLUG Members
September 9: The GIMP - A tour by Bill Kendrick (Tentative)
October 14:  MythTV (Encoding Video with Linux) (Tentative)