[NBLUG/Announce] April 12 General Meeting: Life After Second Life: Metaverse

E Frank Ball III frankb at frankb.us
Tue Mar 29 20:22:26 PDT 2016

 Topic: Life After Second Life: Metaverse
 When: Tues April 12th, 7:30 PM to 9:00 PM
 Speaker: Mike Higgins

 Location:  O'Reilly Media, Sebastopol CA in the Tarsier conference room
past the metal statue and to the right ( http://nblug.org/locations )

I gave a talk here once before about programming in the video game
Second Life ( http://nblug.org/node/155/ ).  This time I'll talk about
Life After Second Life.  There is a larger world, a Metaverse, of open
source MMORPGs based on the open source Second Life Viewer projects and
the Open Simulator project.  There are hundreds of small companies
trying to make a living doing what Second Life did.  There are thousands
of crazy artists creating 3D environments and inviting you to walk
through them, there are tens of thousands of people setting up virtual
environments on their own PCs and all of these are starting to link up
to each other.  My plan is to not have many slides for this talk, but
log onto several different virtual worlds and put them up on the Big
Screen while I talk.  Eventually taking us to my private world run off
the server in my barn.  - Mike Higgins