[NBLUG/Announce] Oct. 11: The Epiphany Chip and the Parallella Computer

Allan Cecil allan at nblug.org
Fri Sep 30 13:16:54 PDT 2016

Topic: Oct. 11: The Epiphany Chip and the Parallella Computer
When: Tuesday October 11th, 7:30 PM to 9:00 PM
Speaker: William Tracy

Location:  O'Reilly Media, Sebastopol CA in the Tarsier conference room
past the metal statue and to the right ( http://nblug.org/locations )

The Epiphany is a processor that tries to combine the best attributes of a CPU and a GPU. The Parallella is a single-board computer that runs Ubuntu, originally designed as a showcase for the Epiphany chip. I backed the original Kickstarter campaign for the Parallella in 2012. I will talk about my experience with the fundraising campaign, how the Epiphany and the Parallella are different from their predecessors, and the strengths and weaknesses of the Epiphany in practice.