[NBLUG/Announce] April 10th - Tamper-evident boot with Heads by Kyle Rankin

Allan Cecil allan at nblug.org
Mon Apr 9 09:38:10 PDT 2018

Topic: Tamper-evident boot with Heads
When: Tuesday April 10th, 7:30 PM to 9:00 PM
Speaker: Kyle Rankin

Location: O'Reilly Media, Sebastopol CA in the Tarsier conference room
past the metal statue and to the right ( http://nblug.org/locations )

Having a trustworthy boot process is the foundation of the rest of your
system's security. If your BIOS, kernel, or initrd have been tampered with,
an attacker can hide their backdoor from the rest of the system. This talk
will discuss the security threats against the boot process and briefly
cover some other approaches to protect against boot-time attacks but the
talk will primarily focus on Heads, an open source project that provides
tamper-evident boot. I will discuss how Heads works, how it differs from
other secure boot approaches, and demonstrate how it protects against
tampering.

Unless there are security concerns I (Allan Cecil) will be streaming the
talk at http://twitch.tv/dwangoAC - see you there either in person or
virtually!