DSL help plz.

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Dec 28 17:15:05 PST 1999

Quoting ME (dugan at libwais.sonoma.edu):

>> Allow me to refresh your memory:  We were speaking specifically of
>> SDSL.
>
> I disagree, we were speaking of DSL (as the subject states) which
> includes all forms of DSL.

I'm sorry, but I don't have time for this.  You can check the prior
posts for what my comment concerned, in context.

> I was not the first person to bring up the issue of latency, but was
> re-addressing it since it was an item left un-contested and
> uncorrected by anyone else.

I'm not sure what your point is.  I mentioned the latency of our 1.1
Mbps SDSL line as being indistinguishable from that of the prior T1,
which alone strongly suggested full duplex.  I'm sorry if that point was
unclear, but I doubt that recapitulating that conversation additional
times will prove a good use of your time or mine.

> In some ways you are lucky to be in SF to get multiple varieties of
> DSL.

I'm sorry to say that you still appear not to have understood what I
said:

The 2 Mbps HDSL segment I mentioned is _internal_ to my former firm's
network (as I said before).  It's used to connect the firm's LAN across
a large office building via existing CAT3 cabling.  We used HDSL routers
on either side of the building's telco cable, that being the best we
could do without stringing new cable (which was not an option).

> Two questions:

Neither of which bears on what I said.  Perhaps you should ask someone
with a great deal of free time to spend.  I'm afraid I'm running short.

--
Cheers,                            "I'd say it's latke-esque.  Sort of like
Rick Moen                           Kafka-esque, only less depressing."