128megs of RAM...

Mike dugan at libwais.sonoma.edu
Fri Dec 10 14:08:59 PST 1999

On Fri, 10 Dec 1999, Devin Carraway wrote:
> Subject: Re: 128megs of RAM...
> On Fri, Dec 10, 1999 at 12:31:22PM -0800, Kevin Jamieson wrote:
> > 'append = "mem=128M"'
> >
> > but it still doesn't see it.  The motherboard counts it up to 128 when it
> > boots, but still no dice. Does anyone have any ideas?
> 	That is the correct line -- are you sure it's in the right place,
> and not being overridden by a subsequent line in the file?
> 	A quick way to test: when booting, type it in manually to LILO
> ("linux mem=128M", adjusting 'linux' if you use a different boot kernel
> naming scheme).  That's generally a much easier way to find what boot
> options work before putting them in lilo.conf, esp. since it halves the
> potential number of reboots needed to test something.  And you know how
> Linux people feel about rebooting.  :)

Problems that have been known to cause problems like this in the past:
When you add the:
append = "mem=128M"
to the /etc/lilo.conf file, check to see (as the previous response
suggests) if there is another
append = "...
somewhere else in the /etc/lilo.conf

Also, after appending this to /etc/lilo.conf, you did log in as root and
then run "lilo" to make sure the new additions to /etc/lilo.conf were read
by lilo and included with the linux boot information on the boot sector.

If you are nont running LILO, but instead are using a boot from dos with
LOADLIN.EXE or via a batch file from DOS/WINDOWS that executed LOADLIN.EXE
with a kernel as an arguement, then try appending mem=128M after the name
of the kernel being loaded by LOADLIN.EXE

(An included LOADLIN BATch file Example, your arguements may vary)
---
@ echo off

rem Flush any write-cached disk blocks before we leave DOS.
smartdrv /c

C:\linux\loadlin.exe c:\linux\linux.krn mem=128M root=/dev/hda3 ro
---

Before trying these suggestions, check with what the previous responder
stated.

Also, when you are able to locate the trouble, could you let us know that
it has been resolved, or not so that we can offer other suggestions, nor
not.

-ME