Hardware reccomendations

Sebastian Mindling list at mindling.com
Tue Nov 2 13:53:39 PST 1999

On Tue, 2 Nov 1999 13:36:47 -0800, "Joseph McCarty" <atlee at saber.net> spoke gently:
> I'd really appreciate some feedback on internal 56K modems and NICs that
> folks have found to work well under both Linux and Win 95/98.

Currently all my NICs running under Linux are 3Com 3C905B-TX 10/100s.
The only issue that I've had with these NICs is that on newer
motherboards, I have to set "PnP OS" to No in BIOS and then cold boot
the machine to set the NIC resources.

On the modem, I use an internal 3Com/USR Sportster without problems,
all my others are external. Just make sure you don't buy a winmodem, and
get a jumperable modem if possible.

HTH!