tftpd and paths...

Mike dugan at libwais.sonoma.edu
Mon Sep 6 22:51:36 PDT 1999

On Mon, 6 Sep 1999, Dustin Mollo wrote:
> Subject: Re: tftpd and paths...
> Right.  That's what the tftpd that comes with RH does by default.  I'm aware
> of it's built in security restrictions, but it makes sense to me for the
> daemon to accept / as being the root of the chroot'd directory tree.  I
> don't see why it doesn't allow it.  Oh well.  By default, it uses /tftpboot
> (the Sun "standard").  You can only pass one argument to the daemon and
> that's the directory you'd like it to serve files from.
>
> I'm afraid what I'm really running up against is the brain dead boot monitor
> that insists on thinking it's smarter than I am and putting a slash in there
> when I don't want one :)
Simple and silly question, and it should not matter, but are you offering
a trailing "/" to the named servered root directory for tftpd?
like /tftpboot/ in the entry in inetd.conf for starting the tftpd service?
If so, have you tried to remove it?

It is something to examine before DL and compiling another tftp daemon...

> > If you find that their tftpd does not work as you wish, there are 3 tftp
> > daemons that I have found in the past with different security.. try one of
> > those. (One or two were found at sunsite....)
>
> That's what I'm afraid I'm going to have to end up doing.  I'll go poke
> around some tomorrow.  I assume they live under ~Linux/system/Network or
> something similar.
Copy from 1992 tftpd found in:
http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/network/file-transfer/

There is mention on their site of "NetKit-tftpd.10" and I am sure there
were other versons before, but you will need to check.