[OT] Computer dealers, possibly Linux-friendly?

Christopher White chris at adei.com
Mon Apr 24 12:42:31 PDT 2000

Hi, welcome to the U.S.!

I usually build my own or my company's PCs from parts I order from several
Internet vendors.  However, if you don't want to do that, the only place I
know of in Sonoma County that has even remotely discounted prices is CompUSA
on Santa Rosa Ave., next to Highway 101.  I recently bought a Compaq Athlon
PC from them and installed RedHat 6.1 on it without any hitches (CompUSA
sells several distributions of Linux, BTW).  This was for a client who
wanted a mainstream brand PC.  I usually stay away from mainstream brands,
however, because they have proprietary cases and sometimes proprietary
parts.  CompUSA has their own brand of PC, I think, but I don't know what
the quality is like.  I build my own because I know exactly what components
I want in them.  And I *never* buy Intel!

Good luck!

--Chris

Christopher T. White
Vice President, Information Systems