2 macs and a linux on a LAN

John F. Kohler jkohler2 at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 4 21:54:24 PDT 2000

ME wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Aug 2000, John F. Kohler wrote:
> > Thanks, Everybody!!!!
>
> So you can better understand what we have done to help you, you may want
> to invest some time in reading the following URLs. They will help top make
> your more self suficient:

It is true.  I have not the slightest idea of what I did.  I will bookmark
the sites
below and refer to them early and often.

> http://www.linux.org/help/ldp/howto/Net-HOWTO.html
> and/or
> http://www.linux.org/help/ldp/howto/NET3-4-HOWTO.html
> and/or
> http://www.linux.org/help/ldp/howto/Networking-Overview-HOWTO.html
>
> Later when you feel more confortable with the terms, you may want to look
> into firewalls. The iformation will help you to better understand how to
> protect yourself and your network.

Fortunately, I have found that both Macintosh computers, behind the linksys
are protected by a firewall.  There is a website that will probe your system:

http://www.grc.com

When I was on the modem with the linux box, I found several ports are
vulnerable.
The Macs, on the other hand, took a long time to test, but the report was
that
they were invisible.

I don't know how a firewall works, but what it does, apparently is keep
hackers out
of your system, particularly important if you are not on occaisional dial-up
but
constantly connected to a static IP address such as I have on my DSL service.

> A general thought of a nerd:
> Invest the time to understand the fundamentals, and concepts and you will
> not need to re-learn multiple special cases.

A point well made.  I'll take it to heart.

> Memorization of tasks is more a windows and macintosh philosophy. Linux,
> like other UNIX clones, allows the administrator to leverage their
> knowledge and concepts through multiple revisions.

Does that mean that I can build on what I already know and none of
it becomes obsolete as new revisions of an OS appear?

> I *strongly* encourage you to learn more about what we did with you here.
> De-mystification does take some magic away, but empowers you towards
> independence, and better marketability. :-)

It ***is*** mystical to me right now.  About all I understand is that my new
ethernet
card needed to be identified to the system, and a path through the card, to
the LAN, and
the rest of the planet needed to be made explicit.

> Eric has offered 2 nice discussions on networking at the NBLUG user group
> meetings. He went over many of the concepts that could help you with this.
> This is an excellent place to ask questions. I think he has plans for
> more.

I enjoyed the last NBLUG meeting I attended where Eric spoke, even though I
was
only able to stay with him for the first 10 minutes.

> I can't speak for everyone, but suspect that we are all happy for you and
> your network access with Linux.

I sure am happy, and especially, grateful for all of everybody's help.

John