2 macs and a linux on a LAN

ME dugan at passwall.com
Fri Aug 4 23:25:44 PDT 2000

On Fri, 4 Aug 2000, John F. Kohler wrote:
> Thanks, Everybody!!!!

So you can better understand what we have done to help you, you may want
to invest some time in reading the following URLs. They will help top make
your more self suficient:

http://www.linux.org/help/ldp/howto/Net-HOWTO.html
and/or
http://www.linux.org/help/ldp/howto/NET3-4-HOWTO.html
and/or
http://www.linux.org/help/ldp/howto/Networking-Overview-HOWTO.html

Later when you feel more confortable with the terms, you may want to look
into firewalls. The iformation will help you to better understand how to
protect yourself and your network.

A general thought of a nerd:
Invest the time to understand the fundamentals, and concepts and you will
not need to re-learn multiple special cases.

Memorization of tasks is more a windows and macintosh philosophy. Linux,
like other UNIX clones, allows the administrator to leverage their
knowledge and concepts through multiple revisions.

I *strongly* encourage you to learn more about what we did with you here.
De-mystification does take some magic away, but empowers you towards
independence, and better marketability. :-)

Eric has offered 2 nice discussions on networking at the NBLUG user group
meetings. He went over many of the concepts that could help you with this.
This is an excellent place to ask questions. I think he has plans for
more.

I can't speak for everyone, but suspect that we are all happy for you and
your network access with Linux.

Congratulations on your newly networked linux box. :-)

-ME