Thanks--and Help!

Devin Carraway aqua at atlantic.devin.com
Tue Feb 22 11:40:57 PST 2000

On Tue, Feb 22, 2000 at 10:43:50AM -0800, Bonnie Allen wrote:
> Everything else looks fine, except that I also can't get Linux to accept
> anything but a 640 X 480 resolution for my monitor. At least, I'm assuming
> that's the case, since I can't see the whole desktop without dragging stuff
> around on it. And it won't accept the sync rates recommended in the
> monitor's manual.

	If X rejects the modelines, it generally does so because they're not
within the HorizSync or VertRefresh ranges given in the Monitor section of
XF86Config.  Running X -probeonly will give you X's opinion of th eworld and
its configuration file without actually opening the GUI.

	Also,  most X configuration tools for some reason put the lower
resolutions ahead of the higher ones (safety indicates that it's a good
practice, but it also confuses people).  If you can scroll your 640x480
screen around with the mouse, also try Ctrl-Alt-keypad+ or Ctrl-Alt-keypad-
(the + and - keys from the numerical keypad); if those take you to higher
resolutions, you can reorder the selected modes in the "Modes" line of the
Display subsection of the Screen section in XF86Config (the one that might
read something like 'Modes	"640x480" "800x600" "1024x768"').

> Is this a video card problem? I also can't find any reference to my video
> card in my Windows control panel, where Bill McCarty suggests you look
> (Learning Red Hat Linux). So I don't know if it's configured right.

	You can use SuperProbe from outside X, or lspci, to find what sort
of card you have -- those generally work.  sync the disks before running
SuperProbe.

--
Devin  \ aqua(at)devin.com, finger for PGP;  http://www.devin.com
Carraway \ IRC: Requiem  GCS/CC/L s-:--- !a !tv C++++$ ULB+++$ O+@ P L+++