Segfaults

ME dugan at libwais.sonoma.edu
Tue Feb 15 13:33:37 PST 2000

On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Nancy Harrison wrote:
> Subject: Re: Segfaults
[chop]
>    I'm wondering now if it is how they use memory while installing.

Use what little knowledge I have on this subject, I do not think that use
of memory between the two installations wold be at issue. (Anyone out
there that knows otherwise, feel free to correct me on this.)

[chop]

> There may be some heating problems someplace in my hardware,
> but it sure isn't "overclocked" (I wouldn't have a clue how to do that.)

You need not know how to do it for it to have been done. There have been
local vendors of machines in the past, which have sold over-clocked CPUs
on motherboards:
They buy a CPU rated by Intel for 60 MHz, and then try over-clocking it to
90MHz when they build the system. They then seel the 60MHz overclocked CPU
to 90MHz as a 90 MHz Pentum System (This was a long time ago.)
Or:
They buy a motherboard rated for 50MHz for bus cycles. The vendor of the
motherboard suggests that the board be set up to use 60 or 66MHz since
their lab tests showed these to work. They also offer 75MHz and 80 MHz
settings for motherboard cycles, but recommend against using them. A local
vendor could also increase the speed of the motherboard to the ranges not
recommended by the motherboard vendor claiming, "If they did not want us
to use them, why would they tell us how to do it and leave the jumpers for
us to set it so?"

Both practices are IMHO unethical.

However, both show that you do not need to know how to over-clock your
system for it to be overclocked.

>   I have 2 Debian CD's, both Slink. I will try the other one, just in
> case something was corrupted on the VA one. I will also try Red Hat
> and see what happens. Red Hat 6 had a problem with my uni-processor
> on the Tyan Board - I found the solution in a newsgroup (not from RH,
> unfortunately) which is to tell LILO "linux -up" instead of "linux" when
> you boot. Then you can reconfigure LILO to use the single-processor
> mode as the default. This was all done last year, so it's time to
> start over, hoping for good luck this time! - G'ma

Of course the -up stands for uni-processor, but you knew that! ;-)

Re-compiling a kernel for your system which uses the PPro instructions,
may offer some help with the problems you have been experiencing.

You list a number of installations being tested on this machine. Have you
found one to be better at suiting your needs?

-ME