Does anyone have any Linux 6.0 install horror stories, CPU or motherboard? (fwd)

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Thu Jan 27 11:30:11 PST 2000

> I'm hoping to get some Personal opinions...
>     Are there any CPU or motherboard brand's to AVOID when installing Linux
> 6.0?
>     Does anyone have any Linux 6.0 install horror stories, CPU or
> motherboard?
>     Do you have any that you personally LOVED or hated?

I hear a couple of the Athlon motherboards are flakey, check around
before buying one.  A lot of the ATA66 stuff won't work.

> Celeron, Pentium, OverDrive, Pentium Pro®, Pentium II, AMD K6-2, AMD K6, AMD
> Athlon

My Intel Overdrive processor loaded fine, upgraded fine, and runs great
as a server, but X won't run, the whole box locks up.  I don't know if I
blame the Overdrive processor for that. It a Vectra with onboard S3
video that wasn't intended to run at this speed.

My AMD K6 box works great.  You can get a 450 MHz K6 for near free, but
the 550 MHz Athlon is also getting cheap.  I want to build an Athlon box
soon.

   E Frank Ball   frankb at efball.com