About the 2 macs and 1 linux on a LAN

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Wed Jul 26 21:19:56 PDT 2000

John,

I talked to somebody today who had trouble with a "tulip" card.  She
said it wouldn't work by loading the tulip kernel module, but it worked
when she compiled a kernel with it built in.

Also I don't know if you can get two ne2000 cards working at the same
time.  Using two of the same card only works with certain cards.
Getting one of them to work should be easy.  Since they are ISA cards
they cannot autoprobe and you will have to specify the address.  They
can usually find the IRQ ok.  If you don't know the address io=0x300 is
a good guess.

I wouldn't worry about kernel upgrading unless you need to recompile,
then I would stay away from the Redhat kernels and compile a generic
kernel from kernel.org.

   E Frank Ball                frankb at efball.com